Saturday, December 4, 2010

Cats and dollhouses

What is it about dollhouses that is so attractive to cats, apart from all the tiny little objects inside that they can pick up and chew or carry around and then hide for chewing at their convenience? One of my cats took a liking to my childhood dollhouse (pictured below). Years later, after that dollhouse was long gone, I acquired another one and she was right there, ready to curl up in the bottom floor. Lundby probably had no idea that their stable extension was perfectly designed for feline residents!


Speaking of which, check out this very early Sesame Street clip.

6 comments:

  1. Hi, so nice with a new Lundby blog! All of my houses are Lundby too, even though lot of them have been redecorated a lot. Of my childhood Lundby remains nothing but the shell, but when I was in my late 20's I bought a Stockholm house very much alike this one :-)
    I look forward to see closeups! Love that cat in the basement :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Helene! Thank you for your nice comment, and thanks for being among the first followers of my new blog! Like you I only got addicted to Lundby in recent years. I will add photos of my own collection here, and I look forward to exploring your blog. :^) Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't there a story "The Cat and the Beanstalk?" Oh my... My dolls would be so afraid they would get into their little car and drive away. This post is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Amy! I had tiny clothed mice, not people, in my childhood dollhouse. I'll never forget when my dad found one of the mice in our cats' food dish. One of them had chewed it up and left the "carcass" there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mon chat a fait la même chose quand j'ai rapporté ma Stockholm à la maison !!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Merci de votre commentaire, Christine ! Peut-être que les concepteurs Lundby avaient en tête de faire une niche à chat et non seulement un bas de maison de poupée ?

    ReplyDelete